Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Like Kyle, I Have Returned

For the first time in what seems forever, I watched live Islanders hockey! After having to endure a near complete lack of Internet coverage and then a fried laptop power adapter, everything is back in working order.

My return game was a treat. The Isles won an overtime seesaw thriller against Toronto (3/8) when Blake Comeau netted the overtime winner. Comeau, who is having a breakout season (though last season's numbers were quite respectable), is now one goal away from scoring 20.

Kyle Okposo had an assist in a game which could have seen a lot more goals for New York, if only those pesky goalposts wouldn't have gotten in the way. The team hit posts at least four times, it looked like. Nevertheless, after 24 games played Kyle is sitting on four goals and 10 assists.

Though I've missed most of it (and I promise that won't happen again), the Islanders are experiencing a bit of a resurgence. Thanks to the New York Daily News' Peter Botte, we learn that the Isles are 21-14-5 in their last 40 games, the most points in their division since December 16th.

Even I hadn't realized they've been playing that well.

Though the team is on the brink of division title elimination (and realistically won't make the playoffs either), I am fairly pleased. I am also genuinely excited for next year. It's too bad they suffered such a long dry spell earlier this season, or I'd be excited about *this* season.

Though I missed most of his games, goalie Al Montoya has been a revelation. Before tonight's three goals (did I mention the Isles won 4-3?) his Goals Against Average was a slim 1.93. Good stuff.

I'll have a detailed post of why I'm optimistic for 2011-2012 posted soon. For my regular readers, I truly apologize for missing such a large chunk of games. Just know that I was taking care of family obligations, and everything is fine now.

Let's watch the last 14 games of this season out in style together! See you all Friday night from the Coliseum.

No comments: